So this was one of the my favorite things to do in the fall. But beware of the addictiveness of this recipe- especially if you add the brandy.
Servings: 12 cups
- 1.5 L merlot wine (can be cheap)
- Three Cinnamon sticks
- Slices of oranges
- Four star anise
- Cheesecloth or a coffee pot filter
- Brandy (can be cheap as well E&J)
- Five whole cloves
- ½ cup- ¾ cup of granulated sugar
So we doubled this recipe, so if you are using a 750 ml bottle of wine, just half all the recipes.
1. Using a coffee filter or a cheesecloth, add your cloves and star anise. Either sew the ends or wrap it with twine.
2. In a crockpot, add the granulated sugar. If you are using a cheaper wine, I recommend ¾ cup of sugar to mask the bad taste. If not, just use ½ cup.
3. Add the wine, cloves & anise, cinnamon sticks and slices and juice of oranges. If you want something not as alcoholic, add five shots of brandy. If alcoholic, brandy will be used at the end.
4. Put the lid on and simmer for an 1 1/2 or until the sugar dissolves.
5. Once done, pour a half-shot or full shot to a glass (if you didn’t add it in the beginning). Top with a glass of mulled wine and orange slices.
Enjoy your fall day! Be careful- this stuff is tooooo addicting.
thank you for reading.